Cheap Places For $195/mo In Mexico

Email from

Expats…

I just love getting email from expats. They are always inspiring and they just show how more and more people are making a new life in Mexico, and living far better on less!

Hi,Barbie, My husband and I (and our dogs and cats) have moved  just outside of Ajijic since Sept. AND WE ARE LOVING IT!!

The Mexican people are so friendly, and the support from the expats and the local clubs, like LCS, are great.

I think our children and other relatives first thought their parents were crazy, but more and more we hear from everybody how much happier we sound since we no longer deal with all the issues in the States!

The big question has always been “yea, but what about crime?”  Well, we feel much safer here in Ajijic, than in Little Rock, AR!  Maria W.

Expats watching Acapulco Cliff Diver contemplating the water

Acapulco Cliff Diver contemplating the water

I have, in some of the newsletters and reports stated that most problems are at the border towns, and Expats, as a rule, are not associated with the drug scene.

Border towns are creatures apart from most of Mexico.  However, I do also try to tell people to be cautious;  don’t flash cash, don’t wear great watches, etc.  And don’t have anything to do with anyone who would even consider doing drugs – there are millions of us out here… we have lots of good company!

Hi Barbie,
Tim W. here.  I now live in Nuevo Laredo, Mexico.

I live where the Mexicans live and rent, utilities, food are very affordable (I drink bottled water).

All the girls here want to get married (that’s not much different than the USA).

Social Security claims to be more understanding and will deposit my money in any bank except in barred countries (like China).

I have cable internet (as most expats do – Barbie) now with hyper cable (pronounced hyper cowly).

There are very nice 2 bed, 1 bath new homes here on the outer part of Neuvo, Laredo, Mx.  They sell for $195/mo.  If a person learns Spanish it would be a great place for  expats to live.  No one there speaks English and I have to take along someone bilingual.

Are there places in that price range in Mazatlan?  A one room place where I can see the water way off in the distance (or not) will be fine.  (I answered – maybe not within view of the water)

Everyone in Mexico thinks USA types have money, so I keep one hand on my wallet at all times.

Final note from Barbie: Dick and I have never felt threatened – anyplace –we always try to be careful and wise and well prepared in the first place.  So, taking unnecessary chances – just not part of our lives…we’ll leave that to the Acapulco cliff divers.

On Facebook? Comment on this post...

comments

70 Responses to Cheap Places For $195/mo In Mexico

1. Jerry Draughon

June 19, 2010 at 6:28 am

I have lived in Mexico for 11 yrs and I rent a two bedroom 4 yr old house (very pretty) in a nice neighborhood for $83.00 per month! How about that? And there are more! Jerry

2. Melissa Ross

June 19, 2010 at 7:52 am

Hello,

It is possible that I will be moving to the Ajijic area in the next 6 months. I’ve never been to Mexico before. My fiances family owns a business in Ajijic so that is the area we’d be looking at. We are not rich and will not be able to purchase property but would like to rent a place (apartment or cheap home) sufficient for the 2 of us and our 3 small dogs.

I’ve been looking up places on the internet but mostly come across rental homes that may be too pricey for us. The great part about my search is that I’ve learned how wonderful that area is. All the info I’ve gathered has definitely calmed my fears about relocating. I look at it now as a great adventure.

We will have a car so we can travel a bit but would like to stay as close to the city as possible in hopes that we can walk most of the time.

I don’t know if you are the person to talk to you but I hope you are. Do you know of any cheap rental places that he would be able to line up before I get there? I’ll stay behind for a while in order to save up some money but I’d like to be able to help him over the phone.

I’m actually totally confused. I still don’t know about obtaining residency there… or if I even have to do that. I’ve never been out of the United States so I’m brand new at travel… so I’ll be starting with an actual MOVE! I’d love to find someone who’d be comfortable answering all my questions along the way. Like, will I be legal to work right away or are their certain documents I’d have to obtain first?

3. Barbie

June 19, 2010 at 6:31 pm

First of all Melissa – get busy reading my articles – I think you are not really prepared to move to a foreign country – yes – that’s what Mexico is – don’t let the pretty pictures convince you that you’re simply moving to another part of the United States. Yes – you need a visa – so does your husband – you can’t enter Mexico without one – it’s all on my site. Best way to find a cheap rental is word of mouth with people living there – good luck. Please…read everything available on my site. Best to you. Barbie

4. Barbie

June 19, 2010 at 6:37 pm

Hi Jerry! Thanks for writing! Yep – it can be done! Way to go! Barbie

5. Barbie

June 19, 2010 at 7:10 pm

Melissa – Me again – You will find the best deals come from word of mouth – possibly chatlines of the area. Do, of course be very careful of chatlines – no personal info exchanged! And, actually, My buddy, Charlie may be able to help – he’s lived there a while. He’s not a realtor – just another retiree who loves where he’s living. Let me know if you want contact with him – email – and I will put you in touch with him. Barbie

6. Melissa Ross

June 20, 2010 at 10:43 am

Barbie,

Thanks for responding. You’re right, I’m not at all prepared to move just yet. I have much to learn and to prepare. However, we may be forced to move, as my husband is in danger of being deported back to Mexico. We will know for sure next month. So, in the event that our fears come true, I’d like to be prepared to follow him there within the coming months.

Being that he is a citizen of Mexico, he will be okay as far as documentation goes. He’s been a resident here for 15 years though so he’ll have a lot to get used to should we end up in Mexico.

Since I initially wrote to you, I’ve read TONS on your blog and I have to say, the information you give is amazing and has definitely set my heart at ease. From documentation, to car insurance, to pets, to the way of life, I feel much more comfortable with the idea of moving to Mexico. Actually, part of me is very excited. The idea of Ivan possibly being deported is suddenly not the end of the world.

Ivan’s cousin Adolfo owns/runs a restaurant in Ajijic, which is why I began to research that area in the first place. I can’t remember the name of the restaurant (and that’s driving me crazy) so I’ve been trying to look it up on-line. No luck yet. I may have to call his family to ask.

Yes, if Charlie wouldn’t mind being my go-to guy for answers about the area, I would love to be in contact with him.

I added your blog to my favorites and will be keeping up with it daily as my research moves forward. Thank you so much for sharing all of your knowledge with all of us.

Melissa

7. Melissa Ross

June 20, 2010 at 10:51 am

You’ve got to be kidding! I’m still trying to wrap my mind around the currency exchange and the difference in prices (compared to the US.) I’ve found some rentals in Ajijic on-line but have seen nothing for $83 per month! I think the best I found was 3 bedroom 2 bath for $290.

I think that, should we end up moving to that area, we would both be working in restaurants or hotels (or the like) for a while. What type of income could we expect with that type of work? Do you have any idea?

8. Melissa Ross

June 20, 2010 at 11:07 am

ps What’s a chatline?

9. Lanney Spradling

June 21, 2010 at 6:51 am

Jerry Draughon ~~~
    How can I call or contact you???

10. Laura Mitchell

June 21, 2010 at 9:10 am

Hi Jerry,
    Wow , sounds like you have found a deal! Where are you living? I have spoken to people in Acapulco that have an apartment for 4oo dollars p/month.

11. Laura Mitchell

June 21, 2010 at 9:12 am

also spoke with people in Puerto Vallarta that have what are considered cheap accomodations, however, never that cheap! LOL

12. Barbie

June 21, 2010 at 10:41 pm

That’s not bad for Acapulco. Jerry is living in the Lake Chapala area – it’s a big area, remember.

13. veterinary technician

June 22, 2010 at 9:21 am

I’ve recently started a blog, the information you provide on this site has helped me tremendously. Thank you for all of your time & work.

14. Sharon Mattison

June 23, 2010 at 6:32 pm

Where do you live Jerry? Can I get on a site to find a similar place? Tell me more!
    Sharon

15. Gwendolyn

June 26, 2010 at 12:21 pm

What part of Mexico are you living in?

16. Barbie

June 28, 2010 at 6:35 pm

Hi Gwen – Dick and I choose Mazatlan as our favorite spot – read all about it in my book, Retire In Luxury.

17. Barbie

June 28, 2010 at 7:04 pm

The average wage in Mexico is $5 a day. I stress this many times – Mexico is for living, not for working. Barbie

18. Barbie

June 28, 2010 at 7:05 pm

Putting Jerry’s reply up in a couple of days – keep checking http://www.moneysavingmexico.com

19. mexicojerry

June 28, 2010 at 7:25 pm

You wont find any rentals at that price in Ajijic! You have got to out in the smaller towns and villages. I am 7 miles from Chapala. Ajijic is the high end of the food chain. No idea about what type of money you might make, Remember that the average wage in Mexico is just $5 bucks USD per day. Tips might make it go up, but it will be hard for a gringo to get a job that a Mexican needs! Just my thoughts…

20. mexicojerry

June 28, 2010 at 7:29 pm

I live 7 miles from Chapals on the north side of the lake in a small but nice village called Ixtlahucan de Los Membrillos. Email me at (taken out by Barbie). I lived in those areas but for them to be too expensive so I figured what are the mexican people paying, so I did my homework and fond this place and the home that I lived in before , for 5 yrs was $100 USD per month with two bedrooms too! They exist, you just have to look for them..Jerry

21. mexicojerry

June 28, 2010 at 7:32 pm

central Mexico in the mountains. 7 miles from Chapala ( that’s Lake Chapala and 45 or so miles south of Guadalajara, the second largest city in Mexico.

22. mexicojerry

June 28, 2010 at 7:36 pm

Barbie, You are right. I went to laundrymats and small grocery stores and anywhere to ask about rentals in the neighborhoods. Ask the locals quite often they know of something or maybe a relative has a rental and would love to get a Gringo in there!
    It worked for me. Jerry

23. Laura Mitchell

June 29, 2010 at 6:38 am

Thank you for your response, Jerry! Barbie could you pass on my email address to Jerry so we could communicate? Thank you very much.

24. Barbie

June 29, 2010 at 7:53 pm

Laura – I have contacted Jerry with your wish. Do realized he is just another retiree and may not have time. Best to you. Barbie

25. mexicojerry

June 30, 2010 at 6:46 am

Nope, you have to walk the neighborhoods and let the people meet you. It’s totally word of mouth. If they like you, then they MAY tell you about a place. There are not many for rent signs in the small villages as when someone dies, then another family member moves into the house. You have to meet them and then go back to that same little store several times and if they take a liking to you and want you to be a neighbor then they will tell you if it is available and where it is! Jerry

26. mexicojerry

June 30, 2010 at 6:47 am

Central Mexico near Lake Chapala

27. Cathy

July 21, 2010 at 7:59 pm

I’ve been reading all the positive things about living in Mexico. Can a single person take a chance at relocating there.

28. Cathy

July 21, 2010 at 8:12 pm

I would love to live in Mexico. Actually was planning Florida only to realize that would only improve the climate and not the cost of living. I don’t have a retirement, but some cash. Just how much does one need to live in a safe community? How long would $100,000.00US last? I’m about to return to college, it will cost $20,000.00. It would be nice not to make that investment if I don’t have to.

29. Barbie

July 23, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Yes – read my articles and the accompanying comments from readers. Barbie

30. Barbie

July 23, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Frank Higgins’ email to Barbie
    I just received Frank’s email, and his answer is pertinent to Cathy – $100,000 can last one heck of a long time for some people – and some people could easily go through it in a week. Barbie. So, here’s Frank’s answer:

the thing about Mexico or Honduras living, from my experience, is you can live as cheap or as extravagant as your funds will allow. To answer your question though 100K could last a life time or a year when i was in Honduras i went there with 8K and made it last a year. $2600 of it was for housing at a place that the utilities were paid.
    I myself also helped with an English class from time to time. Again the area that you choose to move to really makes a difference on how long 100K will last.

Frank
    higginsf@rocketmail.com

31. Barbie

July 23, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Hi Cathy – Barbie here, posting this – it’s from Jerry – I’m just having a problem with my program here and I wanted to make sure you receive Jerry’s answer: Cathy, I live well but don’t go nuts. I enjoy myself for about $500
    per month. I can break it down for you if you are serious. Just let
    me know. Email me at mexicojerry@gmail.com. Hasta luego, Jerry

32. Cathy

July 23, 2010 at 8:22 pm

Hello Jerry,

I’ve been doing some research on different areas of Mexico. I’ve also been in contact with a couple that moved to Merida and have been there for a couple of years and love it! I find the culture exciting and hope to experience it as they have. I would have some cash to live on for a while, but would have to find a way to make some money after a few months. We all start somewhere, and it is great that people like you are willing to share what you have learned along the way. Maybe I’ll be able to do the same for someone else someday. Any information you can share is much appreciated. Thanks, Cathy

33. Alex

July 28, 2010 at 5:18 am

Well, the secret is out. Another beautiful paradise town on the Pacific, between Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta. This town is the oldest port on the Mexican Pacific.This truly Mexican town is San Blas, Nayarit. It is a small fishing village of approximately 12,000 wonderful Mexican natives, who treat you better than the 20 Gringo’s who live here all year. There are no major hotels, no chain stores, no Walmarts, no compounds. San Blas is a truly Mexican town, but if you’re afraid of not having all the spoiled amenities that you had in the States, you are better off staying where you are or excavating your home north of the border, transport it down to places like PV, Mazatlan, Cancun, etc, to a gated compound. That way, you’ll feel the same as you did in the States. Not that risky, is it?
    (Edited for content) To live here, amongst the Mexican’s will only cost $500.00 US or Canadian dollars per month. This is my 18th month here and I love it more everyday! This town is only for the adventure seekers that want to assimilate into a Mexican culture.

Thanks Barbie for your wonderful site!

34. Diane Merrill

July 28, 2010 at 8:56 am

I am going to Tlaquepaque,to take lessons in
    Sept. I’m renting an apt. from Sept.12 to maybe the end of Oct, then I have to find another apt. as someone else is moving in it then. These apts. are through the school.I hope they will have another one open by then, anyway, Is it cold or hot in Sept. and Oct?I find that Wal-Mart is as high as in the US. It’s also an extremely crowed place, but I have to stay close to my finance’s job.I’m 64 years old so I’d rather be where it’s not so busy. Do you have any suggestions? We’re also trying to get him a finance visa or get married in Mexico so he can come back to America with me as I have a home there and don’t want to get rid of it until I see what kind of places are close by so he can continue to work where he’s at or work in US. We aren’t kids anymore and we can”t just throw everything to the wind.We’ve been apart 6months now and it’s very lonely this way.

35. Barbie

July 28, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Hi. Tlaquepaque, near Guadalajara, is high in altitude – so, Sept/Oct should be nice – take a sweater or jacket for possible evenings out. Sounds as though you are planning wisely. Barbie

36. Cathy

July 28, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Hello,
    How much can I make teaching English in Mexico? I’ve heard it is as little as $6.00 US a day. That’s not so bad when you turn it into Mexican currency and you can find a place for $300 – $500 a month. I also have a BA in Business. I just don’t want to go into a larger town each day to work. So trying to find some options. I guess it’s time to get crafty and sell some stuff on Etsy or Ebay.

37. Barbie

July 28, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Yes, that’s probably about it, although, I’m sure it varies. Just remember average DAILY wage in Mexico is under $5 US. And, yes, you should be able, with searching, get a cheap place to live. Please, read my articles – there’s lots of info there. May help you make up your mind. Best to you, Barbie

38. richard z

July 30, 2010 at 11:38 am

barbie RICHARD HERE .
    IHAVE LOST CONTACT WITH CHARLIE GOLD I THINK .
    SINCE I HAVE TALKED TO YOU I HAVE LOST MY WIFE AS POF JUNE .
    AND REALLY NOW I HAVE NO REASON TO STAY HERE AND THOUGHT MAY BE HE WOULD KNOW OF A PLACE TO RENT THERE TO LOOK AROUND .
    NOTHING FANCY I NEED TO LEARN SOME OF THE MEXICAN WAYS .AND HE MAY KNOW OF SOME ONE TO SHOW ME A ROUND .I KNOW I WOULD GIVE MONEY FOR THERE TIME IT WOULD BE WORTH IT.EVEN A LADY COMPANION IS OKAY .MY EMAIL ADDRESS.
    zeiningerr@yahoo.com sorry this is the only way i knew to get in contact with you.

39. bruce banton

July 30, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Hi, I’m trying to find a rental in Los Cabos area or Loreto area for a non-gringo home. I spent a few months setting up an exporting business with someone else out of Lake Capala area and interior a few years ago and love the non-border or big city Mexican people. I now live on $1036 per mo SSI and really would like to get to a safe place I can call home indefinitely. My search so far has shown me things I can’t afford, most are based on property sales–I must rent. Can you help? Thanks!

40. Barbie

July 31, 2010 at 10:05 pm

Again, Bruce, the way to find a “bargain” is to talk to the locals – check out signs in windows – ask at the markets, etc. Charlie, in the Lake Chapala area could probably help you. If you want contact, let me know. Barbie

41. Diane Merrill

August 5, 2010 at 9:30 pm

Hi Barbie,
    I would love to be able to shop around in the Lake Chapala area,but I’m not able to walk very much as I’ve had 2 knee replacements and 2 back surgeries in the past 2 years. The back surgery left me where I can’t stand up very long. So walking around to shops are out of the question for me , also I have no means of transportation except for taxies.
    I’ve always wanted to come there because it sounds so wonderful.I’m just stumped on how to do it. Any sugestions?
    $16,00.00 is all I have to live on a month.

42. Barbie

August 6, 2010 at 11:20 pm

I did answer and gave hime Charlie’s email address. Barbie

43. Cathy

August 7, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Alex,
    You sound like you found paradise!!! I’m going online right now to find this little fishing village. Where did you move from? Does anyone speak English in San Blas? Thanks for sharing!

44. Barbie

August 8, 2010 at 7:15 pm

Dear Diane – Hon, sometimes it’s best just to dream. But – maybe you could afford some help iif you lived n Mexico? Then, again, your Medicare is not accepted in Mexico, you know. Maybe all the adventure you need to take on is to find a truly cheaper place to live in the States. Write up a budget – taxes, ins., etc – then get on the computer and find the state with the lowest taxes, and low insurance rates – pick a town – see what the city taxes are, and if it would be one you’d enjoy living in. Make sure it’s someplace you can easily get around – I think you have a lote to think about before making any decisions.
    Hope you have a wonderful day.

45. Cathy

August 9, 2010 at 7:59 am

Hello,
    I plan to come to Mexico in the next few months. During my visit I want to explore mostly the quiet fishing village areas. Do you think it would be best to drive and if I do, do you suggest I bring my pets with me. I don’t want them to limit my freedom, but I also don’t want to leave them behind. Will it be to much pressure driving? Some suggest flying in and using a travel agent that will take me around and show me rentals, etc. Please share. Love your posts.

46. Diane

August 9, 2010 at 8:17 am

Hi Barbi,
    You seen to miss understood what I was saying. I’m not on medicare, I have great insurance from the army,that only cost $20.00 a month that covers everything except for a $12.00 co-pay.
    As far as the money I get every month,it’s 2,000.00 a month,now that I’m renting my apartment again. I thought it was cheaper to live in Mexico. The apartment I’m renting in Mexico is $400.00 a month,I thought it would be cheaper out that way or at least be reasonable. So I guess that you are right I should stay where I’m at if it cost so much to live around Chapala.Thanks for the info.
    Diane

47. cardell calhoun

August 9, 2010 at 11:48 am

HI JERRY
    WELL FIRST YOU MUST REMEMBER THAT PEOPLE REPORTING THOSE LOW RENTS OR HOME PEICES ARE LIVING IN MEXICAN AREAS NOT WITH PEOPLE FROM THE US OR ELSE WHERE.
    IAM FROM CALIFORNIA AND I`M 57 NOT RETIRED.
    I LIVE ZAPAPON RIGHT NEXT TO GUADALAJARA.
    I BOUGHT A NEW 4 BEDROOM 2 LEVEL HOME 10 YEARS AGO FOR 40K. NOW IT`S WORTH ABOUT 100K.MUCH LESS THAN AT LAKE SIDE. MY TAXES ARE ABOUT $80 USD PER YEAR. DON`T PLAN ON GETTING WORK. MOST HOTELS ARE RUN BY THE WONERS AND PAY THE HELP NOTHING.

48. Barbie

August 9, 2010 at 7:03 pm

Hi Diane – Okay – thanks for the additional info! Your insurance is still not going to be honored in Mexico – I think. And, sure, you could find a cheaper place in the surrounding areas of Chapala. Any other questions, I’m here. Barbie

49. Barbie

August 9, 2010 at 7:10 pm

Hi Cathy – a few more questions before I give you any of my opinion. Oh – but, first, glad you liked the dentist article. There are a few more on my site on dental care in Mexico. First – are you planning to drive by yourself? Don’t you think taking a friend would be more fun than going alone? Think about that first. Then, your pets. I do know where you’re coming from – we just hate to leave our baby when we travel – but – I do know that – of course they limit your travel. You can’t take them into restaurants – you have to worry and search for lodging where they are welcomed – and what if they should pick up a germ? I leave our little boy at home, knowing he’s happy. And we’re free to do necessary travel. Now, the flying – that’s a good idea too. Why don’t you try to find a good chatline/forum/whatever from the places you are interested in and ask there. Just be careful – I always say “No personal info exchanged”. You may be lucky, as we were, when we first headed to Mexico, and find someone who can show you around without just being interested in selling you a property…until you’re ready. Most ExPats are glad to share their experiences. Barbie

50. Jahara

August 25, 2010 at 8:49 am

Alex,
    I have been looking at sites like this for about 10 years and dreaming of just ditching my life here in chilly Canada and retiring in something like your little paradise. Here in Canada I live far from a city, although my job brings me to one daily. I am looking for a quiet, country kind of place that is non-expensive enough like you describe. I am an avid gardener…..is that a possibility there as well? I just recently had my property here appraised so I can do it if I get brave enough …single, older woman….will I be safe in a foreign country? Right at this moment I am sitting at my desk at a job I hate so Mexico is looking real inviting at the moment. I am planning a trip in the new year and am just looking for a place that offers privacy, quiet, country yet ocean nearby. Is your town the place?