Explore Mexico on $430, Part I: Cruise

Going on a cruise is a

great way to tour the

coastal cities of

Mexico and “explore”

without going out of

your comfort-zone.

A few months ago, my husband and I were both at our computers rather late at night…

We are always looking for deals, any kind of a deal. It could be coupons, specials, offers, or simply the latest deal on WOOT.

Well this particular night, while reading from one of the cruise deal sites, my husband said, “Can you believe an 8-day, Mexican Riviera cruise for $430?”

Now, you are probably more experienced than I am when it comes to cruises.  I have only been on a cruise ship 3 times in our life. Yet despite that, I knew in my bones that $430 for an 8-day cruise was a very good deal.

In fact, it seemed almost

too good to be true….

See, my dear husband tends to read quickly — scanning. ‘Comes from years and years of having to read everything that came across his desk quickly, decisively, efficiently.

So we read it again. Checked the fine print carefully and son-of-a-gun!  It really was an   honest, good deal!

We didn’t have anything coming up important, so why not go?

It was the Mexican Riviera cruise and the weather should be perfect for being on the ocean and well, we couldn’t think of any reason why not, so I bought tickets for two right away.

Incidentally, we weren’t the only ones who recognized this was a good deal. The next morning, my husband headed out to get some groceries, and on his way, he stopped at friends – told them about our plans and they said, “Hey, we’ll go with you!  Tell Barbie to get us tickets for that price too!”

So that morning, I sat at the computer and believe it or not, booked the last room available on the whole ship for our friends –  at the same $430 rate.

Oh, I didn’t mention – this was not an inside room (I don’t think I could enjoy a room with absolutely no natural light) not a balcony either, but it showed the room as having quite a large window — which would be fine — it’s not like we hadn’t see Mexico… it’s just that cruising is a heck of a way to enjoy, explore, and sight-see — while being spoiled.

Well needless to say, we all had a wonderful time. The ship was beautiful, the food was delicious, sights were spectacular  – and I will tell you all about it in my next post.

For now however, I just want to emphasize that cruising  is actually a pretty good way to see several places in Mexico and sort of get the feeling for the different areas.

You aren’t

physically

limited to the

cruise ship and

what you can see from your

cabin window…

Depending on the cruise you take, you will stop at many ports of call. There you can take off-ship city tours which gives you a great opportunity to ask pertinent questions of the tour guides, who are usually full of extra information.

When you’re done touring for that day, you return to your “home base” (the ship) relax, ponder, and enjoy all the comforts of home… and then some!

Best of all, the next day you can explore a completely new port, a new destination! It’s a very easy way to explore Mexico without giving up your creature comforts.

Just remember: I have always told would-be retirees to visit places as people, not tourists because you are seeking and searching for a new place to hang your hat in your retirement years.

Cruise To The Mexican RivieraWhile cruises certainly are “touristy”, they are however a pretty neat way to go and get your feet wet for the first time.

This way you can explore Mexico in a more-or-less controlled environment without leaving your comfort-zone.

I still want you to take your note pads and write down everything you learn and make sure you get your questions answered by people who are in the different locations.

Also you might be lucky and meet other potential retirees on board who are also thinking about retiring to Mexico. Get their email addresses so you can stay in touch. Who knows. You might meet your future neighbors!

A cruise an easy, safe way to explore Mexico. It’s a great way to take a wonderful vacation while loading up on useful info.

So keep an eye out for those specials. You might have to stay up late at night and surf the web for cruise deals.

Shop around. That’s what we do!

What do you think? Do you have a question? Need to know more about retiring in Mexico or Mexico cruises? I will try to help!

If I don’t know the answer, maybe someone else will. My site gets hundreds of hits daily and everybody is free to comment and ask questions — and answer questions, too!

If you don’t see the comment area below, click on READ FULL ARTICLE and scroll down to the bottom and type your question.

Cruise article by Barbie.

On Facebook? Comment on this post...

comments

62 Responses to Explore Mexico on $430, Part I: Cruise

1. Brian Smrz

January 20, 2010 at 7:22 am

Hi, Barbie.

Can you help find an answer. We stopped flying several years back, we do a lot of driving. I heard that the is a company going to start back transporting vehicles across part of the Gulf of Mexico. We would like to drive there, however, we would like to cut across the Gulf. Can you tell me who to contact and any other information you might have, We would like to go to Belize again, but with the cruise ships you are there for only a day and we want more time and do not want to fly.

We enjoy your newsletters and do pass them on to friends too.

Brian Smrz

2. Connie Pickerill

January 20, 2010 at 9:05 am

Barbie,
    We have thought of retirement in Mexico, but keep getting discouraged by well meaning friends about how dangerous it is because of the drug wars going on. Also that the government can change instantly. What is your opinion?

We have a social security and pension income of $1,781 a month and that is it. I have fibromyalgia and RA and no insurance. I’m still a couple of years away from Medicare so I just pray allot. We went to Nuevo Progreso for dental work a couple of times. We live 80 miles east of Dallas. Also, we don’t fly and would want to come ‘home’ to see our children, grandchildren and friends at least three times a year. It’s a hard decision.

Right now we are in the process of converting our garage and adding on to our house an apartment so our youngest son & his family can take the house so we can all cut our living expenses as we don’t see things getting better here before they get worse. This way my husband and I can semi-retire at least.

Anyway I would like your opinion about the safety and our situation.

3. Milton Platt

January 20, 2010 at 8:40 pm

I read your web publication now and again. I noticed that you concentrate on the coasts. You should try the central highlands….spring all year round and a lot more interesting. It would increase your readership if you increase the scope of your information. Not everyone wants to sit on the beach.

4. GLYNIS BRAND

January 20, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Hi Barbie, I have a question to ask of you not related to this article. I have sent you a couple of emails in the past my question is:

Can you put me in touch with Charlie in the Lake Chapala area please I know you mentioned him in one of your recent newsletters that I receive from you.

My husband Trevor and I are on our first trip to Mexico and are spending 11 weeks in Chelem in the Yucatan. A more Mexican village I don’t think we could have found and thank goodness for our English speaking villa caretaker. We landed in Cancun and drove to Chelem and was impressed by the highway to Merida.

We are planning to drive down the coast from Cancun to Belize next month, but I would like to get the scoop from Charlie if possible.
    Keep up the good work you and your husband are amazing.

Best regards
    Glynis

5. paul

January 21, 2010 at 10:48 am

Do you know of a cruise that sets sail FROM Mexico?

6. Billy Bowles

January 24, 2010 at 8:26 am

Would like more information about a 4 to 7 day cruise down the coast of Mexico, etc.

7. Barbie

February 10, 2010 at 6:37 pm

Hi, Billy:

There are usually ads on my sites you can click to get bargains – the Internet usually has good deals – you just have to keep looking. I am not a travel agent. Best to you, Barbie

8. Barbie

February 10, 2010 at 6:39 pm

Hi Glynis

First, Thanks :)

I will – separately from this, forward your email to Charlie – then, he can contact you via email.

9. Barbie

February 10, 2010 at 6:41 pm

Hi, Milton:

You’re right. But I don’t do well at higher altitudes – blood pressure :( And actually, I don’t know that many retirees who “sit on the beach” – there’s always volunteering and exploring to do – makes retirement really worthwhile.

Best to you, Barbie

P.S. Check out all my articles – there’s a lot about San Miguel de Allende, the Lake Chapala area, and a lot more. My husband and I happen to enjoy seafood and the water :)

10. Barbie

February 10, 2010 at 6:42 pm

Hi Connie – the best way to put your mind at ease concerning safety, is to read my blogs – you’ll read about people safely traveling all over Mexico.

Yes, the borders are where I want you to be extremely cautious…also be careful in areas of Atlanta, Los Angeles, Houston Texas, Miami, in government buildings, in malls, etc. — think you get my drift — and many other places in the states. No one can guarantee your safety…anywhere. But, I’m betting those people who give all the warnings have never even been in Mexico. And, yep, the government can change – anyplace. Just look at Europe – and the U.S. So, anyway — you have been to Mexico for dental work – have any problems?

We never have – but, again – there are no guarantees – anyplace – for anyone. Hey, not everyone even agrees that chocolate is the best thing in the world! Different strokes for different folks — but, info can help you make up your mind!

Best,

11. Barbie

February 10, 2010 at 6:43 pm

Hi Brian

Geez, I’m really sorry – I can’t help you with this information. Please, if any of my readers have any info on this, email it to me, and I sure will pass it on to you.

12. Barbie

February 10, 2010 at 7:03 pm

Hi Paul, Gosh, I really don’t know of one – sorry.

13. Barbie

February 10, 2010 at 7:05 pm

Dear Linda.

You do know that Medicare is not available in Mexico.

That means you would need Mexican National Health Ins. But, with those pre-existing medical conditions, you probably would not be approved – there would be a waiting period until you would be covered for those things. Only way to know for sure is to apply. Read this: http://moneysavingmexico.com/?s=imss

Also, you may want to check out Tequisquiapan. And, the answers plus lots more, are on my site – get a notebook, start reading and taking notes…then, if you have other questions, I’m here.

Best to you

14. Bill Worthley

March 4, 2010 at 7:42 am

Hola Barbie,
    Darn it, you mentioned Tequisquiapan! I would like to keep “Tequis” a secret. During January, 2010, we DROVE our car 2900 miles through the central highlands of Mexico. “Tequis” was one of our favorite places. If you go there, look up Pete and Jimena Schuster. Great people and Pete can tell you all about the area.
    Salud,
    Bill
    PS During January, the land of “Eternal Spring” can get cold!

15. Joy Teeter

March 4, 2010 at 9:33 am

Please give me information regarding real estate to purchase. I would like to leave the states and purchase a small home or condo (not to expensive), but live very comfortable. Of course I would love to live in a beautiful area and be able to see the coast line and the beautiful water. If you could give me an idea of what the cost to live in Mexico per month that would also be very helpful. Thank you so much for your time and information.

16. Olen & Anna Miser

March 4, 2010 at 11:36 am

Good morning Barb.
    I love getting your e-mail, I think at this point Anna & I Are going to try and come down in june, and maybe look at a lot of places. And find the area we like and then maybe rent for 6 month. Then if this is what we like then buy something. Don’t really want to live right on the water, but would be nice to see it now and then. There is a fishing villiage up from the merida area I want to look at.But Barb I have a 2100 sq ft home , here in Dallas,Tx worth maybe 150.000 since the market fell. But when i look in Mexico 1500 sq ft is running over 200.00 am i missing something, because it doesn’t seem that cheap to me.
    Olen

17. Barbie

March 7, 2010 at 11:34 pm

Hi – Really depends on where you are looking – and what you are looking for. And, I agree, some of the places you see online seem very expensive to me too. But, when you get to the area you are interested in – that’s when you can find some bargains. And – the savings are also going to come from taxes, insurance, utilities, etc. Barbie If you are interested in Mazatlan, I can put you in touch with a reliable realtor. Barbie

18. Barbie

March 7, 2010 at 11:37 pm

Oh Shoot Bill!! I’m sorry :( And yep – Pete and Jimena and some of their info are featured in a couple of my newsletters and blogs.

19. Amy

April 18, 2010 at 7:00 pm

20. Barbie

April 20, 2010 at 8:20 pm

Please read my site. I’m not a realtor, but there are lots of hints on how to accomplish your wishes. Barbie

21. Rick

April 24, 2010 at 5:03 pm

22. Adam

April 24, 2010 at 8:28 pm

Dear Linda.

You do know that Medicare is not available in Mexico.

Best to you

23. Steve

April 25, 2010 at 3:50 am

Hi, Billy:

24. Anthony

April 25, 2010 at 7:48 am

Good morning Barb.
    Olen

25. Joseph

April 25, 2010 at 5:26 pm

Hola Barbie,
    Salud,
    Bill
    PS During January, the land of “Eternal Spring” can get cold!

26. David

April 26, 2010 at 8:32 am

27. Barbie

April 26, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Everyplace in Mexico is Different. Visit several areas, get some idea of where you want to live – the altitude, the nearness to the U.S., the mountains, the coast, etc. Read my Mexico Info writtings – there are a lot – you’ll get some idea. Then you may be ready to start shopping for a home in Mexico.

28. Barbie

April 26, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Hi – Just a hint – when you get to Mexico, let it be known – American clubs, etc., that you’re looking for a place. The bargains are still there – also, stick with your guns – if you want to see homes for 100K – check them out! Barbie

29. Sean

April 26, 2010 at 6:31 pm

30. Ian

April 27, 2010 at 12:48 am

31. Eric

April 27, 2010 at 6:36 pm

32. Bimal Kundu

May 1, 2010 at 10:35 am

We are interested to go for a Mexican Cruise for the maxium no of days at minimum cost. The list at your site did not show a single Mexican Cruise. Kindly send us the site where we can get the information. This can be for 2011 as well. Thanks

33. Barbie

May 5, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Oh dear, you may receive this twice – I’m still trying to catch on to a new program I’m using – but anyway – I did just a minute ago, check my site http://www.moneysavingmexico.com and there were at least 7 ads at that moment for travel and cruises. The ads change constantly, but, just keep clicking on the ones you see, and see what they have to offer – when you find the right cruise and the right price, yeah!!! It will probably take you a while, but that’s how I find good deals – just keep checking til the right one comes along. Barbie

34. Milton Platt

September 18, 2010 at 3:30 pm

I do enjoy the coast…and seafood. I grew up on the Gulf Coast of the USA. But just tired of the heat. To San Miguel and Lake Chapala, you might add Guanajuato, Queretaro, and if your Spanish is pretty good, Patzquaro.

35. Barbie

September 18, 2010 at 10:50 pm

Excellent Milton – you just added them – thanks :) Barbie

36. Milton Platt

September 19, 2010 at 10:56 am

try these companies:

There are others on the internet as well. Google “ship autos to Mexico”

37. Milton Platt

September 19, 2010 at 11:23 am

I just spent two weeks traveling all over the central highlands in Mexico (been to Mexico about 15 times, always drove or took the bus). I neither had nor heard of any problems while there. As far as traveling back and forth, I would take the bus. The buses in Mexico are really nice and it is less tiring.
    I live in Houston, so my travel situation is similar. I almost always cross the border in Laredo.
    Be happy to answer any questions I can.

38. Barbie

September 20, 2010 at 11:26 pm

Thanks so much Milton! Have a wonderful day – Barbie

39. sancor seguros automotor

July 19, 2011 at 2:45 pm

buen blog pero cómo me suscribo? Saludos, agracería un email

40. Barbie

July 22, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Hola – Very easy – on my Home page, on the right, just put your email address and first name – you’ll be receiving my notices then of new blogs I put up. I’ve already entered your info, so you don’t need to. Enjoy. Barbie

41. Valarie

July 22, 2011 at 10:26 pm

Hello,

I have been researching retiring in Mexico. I am even looking into learning Spanish. I am interested in getting more information on Lake Chapala. The average temperature year round. Cost of living. How far it is from some of the resort areas. Can you help me with that. Thanks

Valarie

42. Barbie

July 24, 2011 at 11:04 pm

Hi Valarie – I’d suggest you start reading all my free offereings on my site. Best to you, Barbie

43. Jan@Nursing Degree

August 15, 2011 at 11:13 am

I would love to go to Mexico on $430! Is that really even possible? I just need a break.

44. Barbie

August 15, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Well, we did it – start checking the deals on the internet. And I think you need to read more of my articles. Barbie

45. Milton Platt

August 16, 2011 at 7:00 pm

I looked to see what was out there out of curiosity. I found a number of deals at or below this figure. It really depends on where you live.

I live in Houston, Texas and can sail out of Galveston, which means no bus or air travel to get to the port. If you live in New York or Seattle and want to cruise the Caribbean, then you will spend a great deal more on the total cost.

Which suggests that you might want to make the cruise part of a larger vacation that takes you to the Gulf Coast states.

This cabin price is not at all unusual, however…..it’s the off-season price. The lows for inside cabins are in the 300’s and outside cabin in the 400’s all during the low season every year, and they start out in the 500’s and 700’s respectively in the high season or around certain holidays. That would be for a more casual ship those run by Carnival Cruise lines.

The more elegant lines are more pricey.

46. Barbie

August 17, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Yep – and keep watching for last minute deals too! Barbie

47. llieburger

September 29, 2011 at 9:11 am

I would like to get information from any of your subscribers who live in Baja California Sur (hopefully fairly close to La Paz). This area looks like it would be almost perfect for us, so we would love to have more opinions, good or bad.
    Thanks so much.

48. Barbie

September 29, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Hi – I have probably 8 articles talking about La Paz and the Baja. Here’s one: http://moneysavingmexico.com/?p=3016 Read all the others on my site. Enjoy, Barbie

49. Ted Christos

January 19, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Barbie ” I tried to send an email to you, which came back to me undeliverable . I would like to purchase your books in Hard or Soft copy. Delivered to my home. Please send me your email address.
    Ted S Christos

50. Barbie

January 19, 2012 at 8:41 pm

My books are e-books.

You can download them right to your computer – just scroll down my site, and you can order right online – it is a secure process, as you will note by the https designated once you start your order process. I also offer the black/white printout mailed to you.

Here are the black/white printout options (keep reading for info on sending a check and then downloading to your computer) :

Price for both Books, in the 48 contiguous United States of America and Hawaii, for $49.98USD, including shipping. SAVE $3.00 when you buy both in the United States of America, (the 48 contiguous states plus Hawaii).
    It’s easy to order both Retire In Luxury , a $28.99 value including Priority mailing, and Money Saving Mexico, a $23.99 value including Priority mailing., in a black/white print-out version through the mail. Total value: $52.98 USD, for $49.98 USD. (Individual prices are listed on my sites, (and below) but so many people are buying both, I now send out this letter.)

Send money order (US Money Orders Only – no personal checks) for $49.98 USD, including shipping. (You save $3.00 when you order both) to:

Barbara Parks
    13738 W. Aleppo Drive
    Sun City West, Arizona 85375

Individual prices in the 48 contiguous United States of America and Hawaii, for a black and white print out (done on my copy machine:
    Retire In Luxury $29.00
    Money Saving Mexico $23.98

Canadian Clients:
    Printed out copy of both books is $52.98 USD (Money Order Only) including shipping.
    I ship Global Priority to Canada and it will take 4 to 7 days to receive. (Or so the Post Office says).

Retire In Luxury, only:
    United States of America Clients (the 48 contiguous states and Hawaii):
    Printed out copy of Book is $29.00 USD, including Priority mailing.
    Canada, $33.99 USD including Global Priority mailing.

Money Saving Mexico, only:
    United States of America Clients (the 48 contiguous states and Hawaii):
    Printed out copy of Book is $23.98 USD including Priority mailing.
    Canada, $29.94 USD, including Global Priority mailing.

For other locations, please send “reply” for shipping charges.

I am notified of orders as soon as they arrive by mail. I try to get my orders in the mail within 2 to 3 days. I have 3 weeks on my site, because Dick and I may be on a road trip for a short period.

It would be impossible, I believe, to have an actual up-to-date hard cover book concerning Mexico. By the time it was published, and distributed, it would be out of date. That’s why I opted for the computer e-book instead. I update my book constantly. You can read it right on the computer – save it – go back to it later – print it out and start a file , or whatever you desire. And once you have purchased, it’s yours forever.

And…if you want to send a Money Order to the above address, as soon as it is received, I will simply send you the url – via email – and you will be able to download immediately onto your computer – that is the same price as you see on my site – you get the url instantly either way – $19.99 for Retire In Luxury, $14.99 for Money Saving Mexico.

Thanks for inquiring.
    My best to you,
    Barbie

And, please note, I can no longer accept personal checks. Money Orders only drawn on banks with exchange in US. USD means United States Dollars. Thanks for understanding.