Suggestions, please?

Ever since my term as the Lady’s Club President was over, I finally have more time to myself! I bet you know that feeling.

Since that time, I’ve written many, many articles… they’re sitting on my desktop, just waiting to be published. So I thought: “Why not make another website?!” My second thought was: I need your help!

The new site that I’m thinking about creating would still be about retirement, and planning for that important time in our lives, but, this site would center more on the people who want or must stay (For whatever reason) in the United States for their retirement years.

Golf Cart New Toy 8-09-01

I have always said it takes a special type of a person just to consider heading to a foreign country during your mature years, but, it also takes a very tenacious, stable-type of person to be determined enough to try to make their limited budget spread enough to stay in the states once you are into retirement mode!

So, my plans are to continue with this site, my original Mexico-possibility site, of course, but, also add another site – haven’t decided on a name for that one yet, but, I hope to figure that out soon, and as soon as I do, I’ll let you all know what it is.

I feel I can still fill both sites with the money-saving possibilities that I’ve done for years, while also continuing to give you all the specific important information absolutely everyone needs to plan for a successful and happy retirement – no matter where your particular chariot carries you.

I do hope to get input from a lot of you, and maybe, if you feel like it, you could let me know what you think would be helpful for me to include in the new site.

Please tell me what you think…

I need your help. I want to make sure your time spent with me is productive and enjoyable. What topics are the most important to you?

* What do you enjoy reading about?

* Are you currently retired?

* If so, how are you spending your retirement time?

* Or, if you have not retired yet, what are your current objectives and hopes?

* What’s most important to you right now and what are the areas you are most concerned about?

Do share your thoughts – you know we’re all in the same basic bucket, but, whether our particular bucket is prepared to get us to where we hope to be in the end, is another thing!

And don’t worry!  I will of course continue to write about Mexico retirement to the very best of my ability.  It is such a very important topic to so many people simply because it offers such an attractive alternative, as well as a very possible logical economic alternative to main stream retirement possibilities.

I really want to hear from you, and I really appreciate you for taking your time to let me know what’s important to you.  I want you to share your thoughts with me and other readers on my blog. You can comment using the form below or find me on Facebook at:

Very best regards,

Barbie

On Facebook? Comment on this post...

comments

51 Responses to Suggestions, please?

1. Patrick George

June 2, 2012 at 2:28 am

We are less than one year from retirement. We considered Mexico for a long time and really love it but with all the drug violence there these days we have removed it from our radar. We have older parents, mine is 87, hers are in their late 70’s and in poor health. We wouldlove to move overseas as I for one am scared we willnot be able to manage on SSI alone in the states and we don’t have much more than that.

I have been working 6-7 days a week for a long time and although I love to fish, camp and prospect for gold, I have few other interests and am very concerned about what I wil do to stay occupied in retirement.

Our current focus is on sourthern Oregon, where the weather is good, fishing and hunting are excellent, gold is available and we would be close to the freeway and only about 8-9 hours from our parents.

Generally our health is good and there are some excellent medical facilites in southern oregon, so that isn’t so much a concern — yet, but we know it is likely to eventually be so. Then the real concern will be affordability.

I guess my bigest concern is redefining my life in retirement. I know I’ll enjoy having time for outdoor activities but there has to be more something with a bit more meaning, I just haven’t yet been able to figure out what that is.

2. Sam Krumholz

June 2, 2012 at 4:58 am

Forced to quit working because of cancer, I spent 2 months and a week getting radiation treatments and had to wait another 2 months before I was tested and found to be “98%” sure of being cured. I was, still having the after effects and could not do the job I have done for 30 plus years; so I guess I am retired. I get social security but have very little else. Long story but my wife and I make do. Right now, because of the economy we can not sell our place and are stuck here in the US.
    I have found myself busier than before doing the things that needed doing but not having the time to do them when I was working. The best thing about retirement is that you have a lt of time that you can fill anyway you want.
    I have been in all 50 states but because of my work I have not really seen them. We have had the opportunity to see many countries on our vacation but have not really seen the US. So now we are in Florida visiting my sister and drove here from Oregon.
    We left Oregon and went to Yellowstone Nat. Park, it is fantastic, we had seen the Grand Canyon which is also fantastic but in a different way. We stopped in Cody WY and enjoyed the sites there. The trip from Yellowstone was like nothing we had seen before. We saw Mt. Rushmore and the Crazy Horse Mountain. We worked our way here to a small town near Tampa where my sister lives.
    I could fill in the gaps if you would like me too. I can also elaborate on Yellowstone, WY and SD if you wish. We are going back to Oregon via the “Southern route” in two weeks. So I will have more to write about.
    If interested in these and other things we are doing “retired” I would be glad to write more

Thanks for the opportunity for this
    Sammy

3. Ruth

June 2, 2012 at 6:52 am

I think your idea for a new website for possible retirees who feel they have to stay stateside is a great idea.

We have been fully retired for a while. One subject might be “What I wish I had prepared better before retiring.” Mistakes we made along the way and how to avoid them.

I am 74, my husband is 79. Although we tried Mexico for a year, my husband is not sold on it. We still have a mortgage and a car payment. Ugh! We are getting by on Soc Sec and a small pension each. But it is getting harder and harder to keep up with the rising gasoline and food prices especially.

4. larry gorski

June 2, 2012 at 7:27 am

I am retired and we are in our mid 70s.
    Tell people that buying a place is not always the answer. WE sold our home in the mountains and moved back to the flatlands, but buying a place is not in our future. We have made friends in our many trips to Mexico and rent from one when we go. I would move but my wife says no so here we are. We just returned last Sunday from a 1&1/2 month stay for dental work. I considered it a free trip as the quote up here was $5,000.00 and we spent $4,000.00 including round trip airfare. Tell people that enough people there speak some English and if they try the locals will bend over backward to help. I will think of other things but right now it is time for breakfast,

5. larry gorski

June 2, 2012 at 7:33 am

I sent some info but can’t tell if it went or not. Please let me know

6. Joseph Schreiber

June 2, 2012 at 8:15 am

My wife and I are about 9 years away from retirement. Most important for us is to be able to find a safe and affordable place to retire, but also one that offers good healthcare at an affordable cost. Since our target age for retirement is 62, we will need some sort of health insurance in order to retire early. We definitely are open to retiring outside the US.

7. James Walter

June 2, 2012 at 8:50 am

Hi Barbie–

I just retired from Texas A&M in Corpus Christi. Unfortunately, I have been “celebrating” with kidney stones, a hernia and trying to deal with diabetes and high blood pressure.

At 64 I am also faced with decisions on whether or not to take Social Security. As you know, I am also troubled by the negative press and potential lawlessness and violence in Mexico. I guess the reality of today is much different than when you and I started corresponding several years back.

I think most of us always want to do the right thing. And the question is: if I move and start a new chapter, will I have buyer’s remorse?

I envy you and your spouse. I’m not lucky to have that support system.

Best wishes.

Jim Walter

8. Darrel

June 2, 2012 at 8:51 am

I have been following you for years and enjoy your info and find it very informative. We are canadians whom just retired. We are going to travel around and house sit and after a few years of this, not sure. I really wanted to retire to Mexico for the weather. There are cheap places to live in the USA such as Phoenix so why not focus on those less expensive places. If it wasn’t for the high cost of medical, we would relocate to Las Vegas or Phoenix tomorrow and still may do so.
    I hope alot of your followers give you your next thoughts.
    Youv’e helped us over the years so i hope this helps.
    Darrel Voss
    Kelowna, BC Canada

9. bob dietz

June 2, 2012 at 10:58 am

My wife and I retired to Ajijic, Mexico four years ago. Glad we did, can t imagine living back in the U.S. We enjoy the cultural differences. We think that they make life more interesting and different. If we can help with anything from our village let us know. Adios, Buena Suerte with the new site.

10. Roz Aronson

June 2, 2012 at 11:18 am

Hi,
    I have enjoyed fantasizing about living warm and coastal but my good healthcare, that I worked so long at the University to secure, is not transferable, so I will be staying here.

I would like to see your new website about “making it” in retirement.

I think a lot of people who were working people are having a hard time because they were used to a certain lifestyle but have to become much more thrifty.

Best,

Roz

11. Cheryl & Terry Magill

June 2, 2012 at 12:12 pm

The one thing that worries my husband is this: He is a retired Seattle firefighter on a disability pension. He has excellent insurance, but his insurance is no good overseas. He is 67. I am only (almost) 55 and still work at home as a medical transcriptionist. Fortunately, I can take my work with me wherever I go because it is done online. However, I will have no health insurance if I move overseas as I pay for my own (yes, it is expensive!).

That is the main thing keeping us here–health insurance. The other thing is we don’t know if the Seattle Fire Department’s Retirement System disability would be paid if we lived in another country; I believe it would, but we just don’t know.

We don’t speak Spanish, and we have heard on the news about all the drug trafficking and crime in Mexico, which worries us a bit.

Everybody in Mexico who knows anything wants to make money off of you just to tell you anything. Why isn’t there anyone who will just tell you what you need to know and not have you pay for it? After all, the internet–and e-mail–are free, at least they are now.

So that’s where we are, and I bet there are a lot of other folks out there just like us. I read everything sent to me but so far everybody just wants to make their living by selling information–and no one in America knows who they can trust. I say, the person you can trust is the one who doesn’t charge you anything–and I bet a lot of other people feel the same way.

Sincerely,
    Cheryl & Terry Magill

12. Barbie

June 2, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Yep, got it Larry :) Thanks, Barbie

13. Gloria

June 2, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Hi Barbie,
    We read your site (actually downloaded your book years ago) regularly and enjoy it very much.
    We have been driving to Puerto Vallarta for several years now and spend 6 months there. It is a lifestyle and not a vacation and we do love it.
    We would not benefit from your new site because we are Canadian but I’ve no doubt that all of your American readers would enjoy it.
    Keep up the good work.
    Gloria

14. Dave Wood

June 2, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Hi Barbie,
    Most important to me would be places to retire in warmer climates on $3000 or less, while still living well. Thinking New Mexico, or the southeast US. How to go about planning for retirement, no matter the location.
    Thanks, and good luck in this additional website.
    Dave Wood

15. kamili Pruitt

June 2, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Hi Barb, I am retired and living in Aguadulce, Panama.

16. G.W.

June 3, 2012 at 7:44 am

Yes, we are retired and I enjoy your insights to retiring in Mexico, however due to my VA and my wife’s union disability insurance, we are unable to retire there.
    We hope to sell CA and move to AZ, if that is possible in today’s market.

17. jpbourque

June 3, 2012 at 7:53 am

Hello Barb,I bought an old camper van and i am in the process of repairing,Sept 2012 i will be heading to Baja for touring and camping long term,when it gets to hot i will be driving to the central highlands for better weather,any info on Baja touring and camping will be appreciated,My aerdale Diesel and my Jack Russel Perlita will be my only company,We will be on a tight budget,But the thought of another Canadian winter is to gruesome to contemplate,My two adult children whom are co owners of our home consider me loco wacko,I think they feel i am abondoning them,and how will they cope with my financial support gone,I signed the house over to my daughter and she has gotten her brother finacially solvent after a disasterous divorce and ensueing repercusions,He may also be leaving to pursue his own destiny the mental stress he is suffering is clouding his judjement and they are not making my life very easy at the moment.I am old tired and my body hurts more everyday i am looking for peace and tranquilty i hope Mexico can provide some.Sorry to bore you but it is a difficult decision to make with all the pressures involved.Viva Mexico here i come.

18. John Sharpe

June 3, 2012 at 8:10 am

Dear Barbie,
    We where looking at Mexico to retire to like your self. I had heard of some good area’s in Mexico and some you had posted info on. Two items stopped this in its track. One being the crime in Mexico and the drug wars. The other was air fares going up. We wanted the ability to fly back to the USA and see the grand children from time to time.
    So now we are stuck in the US. for retirement. We are looking at other states out side of California (California taxes to high) but where can we get the good weather out side of California. We call the high taxes in Calif. our good weather tax.
    Maybe you could research other places in the USA and the costs or savings to retire in these locations.
    Along with true weather in each area and what to do, Golf, Tennis, hiking, biking etc.

19. nila middleton

June 3, 2012 at 11:09 am

I enjoy the informational newsletter about mexico. Here in the states, we can pick up a phone and get the info needed for retirement here. There is so much more to know about retiring in Mx.

Thank you for the great newsletter you have now.

Nila Middleton
    Houston, Tx.

20. thomas myers

June 3, 2012 at 11:30 am

As to your questions of this last blurb. Just finished a interesting read, by the name of, Who’s In Charge? or Free Will and The Science of the Brain. It explains a lot about why we think the way we do. I’m a voracious reader and enjoy the time I have now to read. Also read lots of mystery novels, usually set in foreign countries. The interest being somewhat in the culture. I’ve been retired for five years and have enjoyed some travel. I live on a small family farm. I was quite taken with the people and the area of El Pescadero, and the Pacific Coast area of Todos los Santos, and plan on spending much more time in that area, but will endeavor to see more of Mexico before committing to permanence in one area. I still enjoy long walks and only a hour from our coast, even though it’s much more apt to be raining. The rest is hobbies, and lunch with friends. If I had known how great retirement was going to be, I would have jumped on the wagon sooner.

21. Billie

June 3, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Hi Barbie,

Myself and my husband have been retired for several years and are toying with the Idea of moving to Mexico. We are a little leery as the drug cartel problems scare us. We would love to retired in Maridia but just we are leery. I know allot of the stuff you hear is in northern Mexico but I don’t think we want to be in the Zeta’s territory which is most of the northwestern part of Mexico. Our second choice is to stay here in the US but with finances being what they are that is really unsettling also. We depend mostly on AARP for our retirement info in the states and you in Mexico. I don’t here anything about the Yucatan in your newsletters so we are not really to informed about that part of the country. I would love to see some financial information in your new newsletter, as well as some of the warmer best inexpensive places to retire in the US. I spend allot of the summer months doing car shows with my husband and I have also started a website for our club. It is just in its beginning stages but will blossom in time. I love reading your newsletters and wishing I was there. Keep up the good work. God Bless and Thank you
    Billie

22. Ray Beynon

June 3, 2012 at 8:08 pm

My husband and I are retired, and had hoped to move to Mexico for our “golden years”. Unfortunately the slump in real estate prices meant that we were unable to sell our house and have to stay in the States (We came here from England, 18 years ago!).
    I do a lot of crafting, writing, painting, sewing…my husband watches tv hour after hour…we would both love to go back to Mexico even for a vacation, but on pensions that is not easy…so, if you have an ear out for cheap flights we would be interested…we always go to our favourite hotel in Lake Chapala…it’s been 3 years and we’ve been NOWHERE in that time.

23. Barbie

June 4, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Hi Larry, Yep, received email about your trip for dental work – good for you! Barbie

24. Barbie

June 6, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Keep an eye out on the “cheap” “travel” sites online, and you never know, you might find some really good deals as we have. Be ready to decide pretty quickly when the right price comes up. Barbie

25. Barbie

June 6, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Hi – Do read this article: http://moneysavingmexico.com/?s=Merida
    And, I do have another article written, specifically about Merida, I’ll post soon. Keep checking in. Barbie

26. Barbie

June 6, 2012 at 1:46 pm

I know what you mean :) but, we could not have retired any sooner – we had to follow our plans – and as my book tells, retirement was sort of a must for us – healthwise. Thanks for your response. Barbie

27. Barbie

June 6, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Thank you so much Nila. Barbie

28. Barbie

June 6, 2012 at 1:50 pm

I have to agree, but, retirees rarely – really rarely – have any involvement in the drug scene. But, yet, you never know – there are no guarantees…anywhere…U.S. included. and yes, the airlines have really gone up. I check very often, and try to be ready for a great deal. And, your suggestion on USA info, is just what I have in mind…Thanks :) Barbie

29. Barbie

June 6, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Hi. Get that camper in perfect shape, cause the trip down the Baja will be – well, interesting, to say the least :) read
    And your two adult children – maybe they just need to grow up a bit. They should be supporting and helping you in your plans. Oh well, we can’t ever really count on that, can we. But, I hope you find the peace and tranquility for yourself. Keep us updated on your progress! Barbie

30. Barbie

June 6, 2012 at 1:55 pm

I understand that situation. Arizona is going to have cheaper taxes… and undoubtedly a lower cost of living. Barbie

31. Barbie

June 6, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Hi Kamili, I’m sure the readers would love to hear just how things are in Panama – your cost of living, the conveniences, etc., when you have time, send us an update. Barbie

32. Barbie

June 6, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Thanks Dave for your input. $3000 is a more than a lot of people have, facing retirement. On my site, scroll down, and on the right, under “Things I write about”, select “Planning for retirement”. There are at least 9 articles for you to read. Enjoy. Barbie

33. Barbie

June 6, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Hi Gloria, If you have the inclination, do write me about your living in PV. I just wrote a Canadian who is facing retirement with concern, so maybe hearing from a countryman would ease some of his concerns. And I’m sure all my readers would love to hear about it too. Barbie

34. Barbie

June 6, 2012 at 2:39 pm

First thing you need to do is call your Retirement people and find our if it would be paid to you if you lived in another country. Then, probably hard to beat the insurance you have now. So, huge decisions there. Barbie p.s. I am sending you an email, explaining a bit about web sites, and the facts of why information is not exactly free…

35. Barbie

June 6, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Thanks for your input Roz. Barbie

36. Barbie

June 6, 2012 at 2:54 pm

In response to the internet being free: I do have to tell you though, that to run a website is anything but free.
    Offering a website to readers is not free:
    To begin with, when someone wants to start a site, you buy the domain name: $9 to $20 depending on where you buy it and also the kind of domain…com, org, uk, etc.
    Then there is hosting, a monthly charge: $3.00/mo up to $15/mo for very cheap starter hosting. More professional and reliable CLOUD hosting (which I have) is $50/mo to $150/mo.
    WordPress, the program used to insert articles, etc. into, so there is an actual site with info on it, is variable – usually the “vanilla” version of the program is free. A theme/design can be free or it might cost $10-$20 to purchase a unique theme, and if you add enhancements, there can be extra charges. There are professional designers who charge thousands for unique web site design.
    Then, if you make mailings, that will cost from $10 to $50 or more a month. Carriers don’t just let everyone send out thousands of email, without charging for that service. So, that’s another variable. I’m very lucky to have a son who has taken care of all the above.
    The time and effort spent in producing writings/articles, is the most expensive part of it all, Chris says. That’s the part I like doing :)

37. Sandy Novelly

June 7, 2012 at 4:30 pm

I am not currently retired but hope to be in the next 2-3 years or so. We will be living on Social Security as neither my husband nor I have another retirement from a company or investments. I know we will be very limited. How about an article on the best places to live on very limited income. It would be greatly appreciated, I assure you!

38. Sandy Novelly

June 7, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Don’t know where in Arizona you plan to go; however, my husband and I have a manufactured home in Bullhead City, AZ (right across the Colorado River from Laughlin, NV) at Longridge Park, 2960 Silver Creek Rd. It is lot 124 on Somerset. We have moved back to Las Vegas for work reasons and the home is for sale, fully furnished. Let us know if you have any interest and we can give you further details.

39. Barbie

43. Barbie

June 7, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Thanks Sandy – Keep reading! Barbie

44. Cindy

June 8, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Hi Barbie,
    I really enjoy your informative and funny posts. I thought I’d throw a little information into the mix here. I purchased GORGEOUS, white sand beachfront between Sabancuy and Isla Iguada (about 2.5 hours south of Merida). The lots are about 12 feet above sea level (good news in a storm), measure 65.6 feet wide by about 600 feet deep with a buildable footprint of 7000 square feet at ground level with the right to go up as much as 3 stories. The lots are in a subdivision of 279 lots and there are only about 30 left. They are priced at $64,900. which includes closing costs and if you use their architect (award winning), your blueprints are free! Can’t beat this deal. I bought 3 lots and mine will be one of the first 30 that will begin construction in Jan. 2013. I can hardly wait as I plan to retire there full time as soon as it’s built. The lots have been purchased mostly bby American and Canadian ex-pats so I’ll have plenty of company. If anyone would like the name of my Realtor who was so helpful and most importantly….honest, they can email me at cindym.ehsi@yahoo.com. Happy Birthday Barbie doll!
    Cindy

45. Gloria

June 9, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Puerto Vallarta is a beautiful location and the weather is delightful and tropical. This coming winter will be our 9th winter spent in P.V.
    We drive down taking our time and treating the drive as a vacation time exploring along the way. We cross the border at Nogales and spend two overnights in Mexico. San Carlos is the first place to be on the water after crossing the border and then we spend a night in Mazatlan before arriving in P.V. We never drive after dark (we don’t at home in Canada either). As for the drug cartels etc. it is no different than any other place in the world. We have many murders and crimes right here in Canada that are usually drug related as well. As for living in P.V. we find it much less expensive than here at home. Gas, groceries and dining out are all much less expensive. However there are high end restaurants where one can spend as much as they would in the same type of restaurant at home. I feel safe walking in downtown P.V. alone at night although I would not be out there at 2 or 3 in the morning. We have both become very busy in the P.V. community and consider it a lifestyle rather than a vacation. In Canada we are not allowed to be out of the country more that 6 months (other than Ontario which is 7 months) without impacting our provincial health care. Besides that our summers are pretty nice here so we feel that we have the best of both worlds.

46. Barbie

June 9, 2012 at 10:28 pm

Hi James, first, get all those health problems under control – the high blood pressure might be from worrying?? And fretting about so much unknown?? I’m sure it is. Dick’s and my take on taking SS early was – we’re going to enjoy it while we can – just might think about that. Now, the violence in Mexico is a reality. But, there are so many people loving their retirement lives in Mexico is something to consider too. You should have a good retirement from university probably, so your life in Mexico would be stress-free…other than your health problems. So, maybe near the states, on the Baja? Have you checked that area out? Rosarita area? Or maybe on the gulf side of the Baja – that way, it’s a quick trip back to the states. Anyway, just trying to give you some things to think about. You take care. Be careful and follow a good diet with the diabetes – there are lots of options for eating out there now-a-days. Get the hernia taken care of, and damm those kidney stones – And while I do know of one couple, well, only 1/2 a couple personally who did not like Mexico – he loved it, she missed family too much – most people love it… and if you get buyers remorse, the roads head both south and north! You take care. Barbie

47. Barbie

June 9, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Hi Sammy, I’m sure some of my readers would like to hear about your travels. This is one of the things I want to include in my new site. Thanks, Barbie

48. Barbie

June 9, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Sounds as though you do have the best of both worlds! Enjoy! Barbie

49. Barbie

June 9, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Hi. Well, if you enjoy people, how about filling some of your spare hours and even putting a few dollars into your pockets by maybe being something like a greeter at Walmart? We have been in some Wendy’s and they have greeters too. You can volunteer at libraries, if you like kids, schools love to have “Grandpa” types help with reading, etc. You might even check in a sporting goods store – they’d probably love to have someone part time who actually knows about fishing and camping! Get pencil and paper out and everytime you think of a possibility, write it down. Bet you’ll find out you’ll be loving your retirement. I guess your parents need to be your first priority for now, probably – your time will come. Take care. Barbie

50. DanKlein

December 18, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Hi Barbie,
    I purchased your ebook. Retiring to Mexico Scares Me after reading it. To Quote Your Book… “Don’t Worry About the Checkpoint Guards With Machine Guns” How Comforting. I recently heard from an ExPat that said You need to Stay in your Community and NOT Leave it after Darkness. I think I Will Stay in the USA.
    What Are Your Comments About This. Your Book is Honest and it SOLD Me to Stay in the USA. I Hope Your Reply is also. Thank You Barbie.