Retire to Mexico? Let Me Help!

Retire to

Mexico?

Let me help!

Just in case

you’re

wondering:

Yes, you can

retire early, reduce your cost-of-

living, and live better than you do

now, in Mexico.

Rest assured thousands of people have already done it. Mexico is where they live, work, and play. People from all walks of life are living the good life for a lot cheaper than they could do it anywhere else.

Retire to Mexico

Dick and Barbie

Indeed, Mexico has it all: Lower healthcare costs, pleasant weather, idyllic lifestyle, and so much more. Mexico will help you save money on practically everything you need right now. Imagine slashing your living costs by a third… or even a half. That’s a lot of money in your pocket!

YES… You CAN live, work and own property in Mexico — without having to give up your present citizenship. It’s not a trick. It’s not a loophole. It’s a fact and it’s your right.

Why put it off when virtually anyone can enjoy an abundant retirement with luxuries and amenities that — usually — only the rich enjoy… a life of abundance, prosperity, luxury. Stress free living is just that: completely stress free… and you don’t have to be a millionaire to enjoy this kind of luxurious lifestyle.

So what will your life be like in Mexico?

How much does it really cost?

Most importantly, how do you get started?

This article answers all of these questions for you. My newsletter, my free reports and my books provide you all the information to retire to Mexico that you need.

If you’re looking for the perfect place to retire… a place to vacation to… a place to escape the winter months, you’ll discover why more and more people are choosing Mexico to make ends meet — and getting more bang for their bucks.

So read all about it! I’ve got lots and lots of information waiting for you right here, so dig in and enjoy.

Oh yes… and I almost forgot! If you feel like commenting on any article, please be my guest.  At the end of each article, there’s a little “add comment” feature — so feel free to make use of it. I *do* get a lot of email and keep pretty busy, but I guarantee you will always get a reply from me!

Addition Feb 3, 2013 – the amount you need to move to Mexico has changed – see – http://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/detroit/index.php/info-english

“Retire In Luxury” by Barbie

On Facebook? Comment on this post...

comments

75 Responses to Retire to Mexico? Let Me Help!

1. Connie Pickerill

November 21, 2009 at 8:46 am

We have thought of retiring to Mexico. Our friends think we are crazy. They say it is very dangerous there and we keep hearing news reports on the violence. Could you comment on this?

I have fibromyalgia and Ra. I have heard in certain areas that these health problems almost disappear because of the consistant weather. Have you heard this? Here in Texas, the weather changes daily and it is very painful.

Thank you for your time.

Connie

2. Jayne Martin

November 21, 2009 at 10:39 pm

I’m a 62 yr old woman who has Fibromyalgia so have limited energy & stamina. I’m alone since the granddaughter I raised moved out. When she did my income was cut in half to $1200 month(disability income). My 2 BR apartment cost me $900 month. I must move, but I don’t want to live in the desert any longer and cannot think of anywhere I’d like to be or can afford to live. I’ve received your emails for a long time now and moving to Mexico sounds like the answer to all my needs. But, I’m afraid to go alone but have nobody, I don’t know the language, very concerned about the violence, and I would lose my Medicare/medicaid coverage which pays for my expensive pain medications, etc. Is there any silver lining that you can see through all my fears? I welcome any help and information you can give me concerning my situation. I have a little money saved to close the gap, but time is of the essence. Thank you for your valuable time.
    Jayne

3. Barbie

November 21, 2009 at 10:41 pm

Dear Connie, the violence – yes it’s in Mexico, and Atlanta and Chicago and Los Angeles…and truthfully, you must be very wary around the border towns. But, read my comments and newsletters and the blog at http://www.retireinluxury.com – you may feel a bit more sure. The fibromyalgia – I don’t know…interesting… I know arthritis acts up with weather change…maybe.

4. Barbie

November 21, 2009 at 11:01 pm

Dear Jayne, You say change in weather is bad for your condition – then, I would think desert would be perfect. I would first, try to find a one bedroom apt…that is enough for you to take care of. Mexico is not for everyone…I think your Medicare/medicaid is very important to keep – it is not available to you in other countries. Another thought – any chance of renting out one of your bedrooms – maybe to a student, or a widow?? You would have companionship and probably even be able to share in the physical upkeep – cleaning, cooking, etc. . Maybe contact your church? You surely are not the only one in your community who would like to save money. Best to you. Barbie

5. Delia Lopez

November 25, 2009 at 10:22 am

Hello Barbie I have an odd question for you. I am searching for my father in laws’ birth certificate. He was born in Mexico in 1909. I have looked through the mormon sites and found people with similar names etc. during the time mostly in Culican Sinaloa with a few elsewhere. I was told a lot of records were destroyed during the war. Do you have any suggestions? I understand my husband was born a dual citizen and I, as we have been married longer than 2 (27), am eligible to get a Mexican passport as well ( for traveling to other places as well.) If you have any ideas please let me know. It was suggested I go to the county records office in Culican Sinaloa with the documents I have and see if they can help me, what do you think? We actually had to do that in Los Angeles CA to get my husbands at one point so we will do that if you think it would be successful. We live in Oregon so the trip to MX would not be too much more trouble, than the trip to CA was. Thanks in advance
    Dee

Hi Dee, Wow – I’m afraid I can’t be much help in this respect. I think the suggestion you have above is probably what I’d do. I am very lucky, in that my sister was really interested in geneology and worked for years on our family’s records. I have quite a lot of info – not that it means anything particular – just interesting! So, good luck to you! Barbie

6. Delia Lopez

November 25, 2009 at 10:35 am

Jane and Connie, my mother was disabled by fibromyalgia. She also needed $28,000 in dental work and her co pay was going to be awful! I convinced her to go see my dentist in Las Varas 1 hr N of Puerto Vallarta and she had her entire mouth redone for $2000 and my dentist Teseo Baccera Perez told her she needed to go to the doctors he could tell from inside her mouth something was wrong. So he made her an appt. with a doctor in Tepic and he did a work up on her and prescribed her some pills, and she is back at work now. When she got off the plane from MX I almsot did not recognize her! All new teeth a tan after a month on the beach and she said she felt WONDERFUL. She speaks no Spanish so does not know what was wrong or what doctor said and did not even keep the empty pill bottle! So go see a doctor in MX I find they have more desire to cure you and less to put you on drugs long term.

Hi! What else can I add to that??!! Wonderful!! Barbie

7. Marilyn D.

November 28, 2009 at 12:51 pm

Hi Barbie,
    Mistakenly I clicked the “remove me” link so I’m back looking again for areas in Mexico where I can find a decent rental for myself and my cat. I’m a single female nearly 75 but am half-way mobil, having failing eyesight, but still the wonderlust spirit of youth. I’ve visited Mexico thrice and still haven’t seen it all. I do speak the language and can get by well enough on that front. I’m thinking about the Zihuat. area if you know of rentals in this vicinity. I’m more than willing to ride the bus or train and would not be bringing a car.

I’d love to hear from anyone who currently rents small apartments so I could better understand the ins & outs of renting and also the costs involved. I’m on a fixed income of $800+ .

I so enjoy reading the posts of others who’ve made the leap of faith and have permanently pulled up stakes or who’ve opted to winter south of the border.

Your site is a Godsend, Barbie, so please do keep up the good work.

Sorry for the lengthy note here, but as you can tell, I love to write!

Thanks again for any input; you’re a jewel.

Many Blessings,
    Marilyn DeLaunay

Dear Marilyn, The Zihuatenejo is not doing all that well, financially – ergo, the prices are holding pretty well there – you may be happy there. Make sure you read everything I have offerect – I know, it’s very extensive, but, I think well worth your time. You do know about the Lake Chapala area? Across the lake, it is still low priced too – it’s not Americanized yet. Charlie could give you more info if you want, let me know. Anyway, hope you’re having a wonderful day, Marilyn! Best to you. Barbie

8. Eva Gilliam

December 2, 2009 at 12:08 pm

Hey Barbie,
    I’ve talked to many people about retiring in Mexico. I’ve heard very conflicting information but I can’t help but believe it would be awesome. I work at the University of Alabama at Birmingham right now and will be eligible to retire in about 8 years. Do you have any suggestions for where I could live. I thought about Xalapa City, Vera Cruz. I’ve taken a few Spanish classes and I use it every day. They say immersion is the fastest way to get really good at it. I’m not worried. I would like to buy some land and build a house. What are the laws regarding American citizens owning land in Mexico? If you could provide websites re: available health insurance and land ownership it would be greatly appreciated.

9. Bob Higdon

January 11, 2010 at 7:15 am

Hello Barbie,

My wife and I enjoy reading your info abour Mexico. We are in the process of house hunting in Ensenada and would like to learn how to take our household goods (furniture, etc.) into Mexico when we move there. If you have any particular info about Ensenada and that area, we would appreciate that too.

Keep up the good work!

Thank you.

10. Ruth Hill

January 11, 2010 at 9:31 am

Hi Barbie,

We are hoping to spend about 6 mo. in Mexico on a FMT sometime this year. I have been reading from Robert Hudson’s website (he’s from Mazatlan) about his services in helping people move to Mexico. Not that we are considering his services but I do have a question after reading his information. If we only bring a car load of personal things can I bring 1 TV, my Bosch mixer, my wheat grinder, my VitaMix blender and most importantly, a pail of hard white winter wheat for making my bread. If not, I’m assuming I can buy wheat in Mexico. Any ideas?

Ruth

11. Linda Thompson

January 14, 2010 at 9:49 am

Dear Barbie,
    I have been getting you news letters for a while now. You have such great information.

I also have fibromalgia and O.A. I have been thinking about Guanajunto, posilby moving there. I am 52 , divorced, no children, and am on S.S. disability. I live in Minnesota and the weather here is causing me pain all year long.

Do you have any information that you could give me about this small town? I am on a fixed income and would need a rental that can’t be to expensive.

If you know of any other town or villages in Mexico I love to hear back from you. I can move as soon as possible. I just need to get information on rentals, visa’s, can I bring my car to Mexico?, How do I retain dual citizenship?

I would love to hear back from you with any information you can give me.

Keep the newsletters coming. They are very informative.

Take Care,
    Linda T.

12. John Anderson

January 15, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Last week I returned from 2 weeks in Mexico, and 5 of the days were spent in Guanajuato, so I might be able to answer some of your specific questions.
    Barbie, after this first ever visit to Mexico, I am definitely going to retire there in the next 2-4 years, so I am going to pay attention to your site.

Can you tell me how to apply for an FM-3 visa?

Thanks! John

13. Barbie

February 10, 2010 at 6:47 pm

Hi John, To get you started – goto these. How did I find them on site? I went to my site – moneysavingmexico.com and in the search box top,right, put in fm3. Actually 10 pages (clear down at the bottom, the search now shows how many pages refer to the subject) came up – these are probably the most pertinent:

http://moneysavingmexico.com/page/5/?s=fm3 and
    http://moneysavingmexico.com/page/6/?s=fm3 and
    http://moneysavingmexico.com/page/7/?s=fm3 and
    http://moneysavingmexico.com/page/8/?s=fm3 and

Enjoy :) Barbie

14. Barbie

February 10, 2010 at 7:08 pm

Hi Ruth, as long as your items are about a year old, you should have no problem. But, the wheat especially if it’s in a preopened container – that’s sort of taking a chance – never sure whomever is on guard will allow something like that. Can you purchase your wheat in a nice sealed bag or sealed container? That could help the situation. Best to you – and yes, they have wheat in Mexico. Do make a specific list – model numbers, date acquired, name, of the appliances you plan to take – and make at least 3 copies.

Good luck. Barbie

15. Linda Thompson

March 9, 2010 at 10:35 am

Hello Jane,

My name is Linda Thompson. I am planning to move to Mexico in December of 2010. I am 53 and divorced. I live on S.S. disability, and feel I would not be able to live there if I didn’t have a housemate.

If you are still looking for a housemate I hoe you will contact me.

I noticed you post is from Nov. 09.

I too have fibromylgia and have heard that the desert is a good place to live.

I hope to hear from you if you are still looking.

Sincerely,

Linda

16. Helen

April 5, 2010 at 3:35 pm

I am looking for current cost of living information in Mexico. Do you have, or can you point me realistic information on cost of living preferably for different areas.

17. Barbie

April 8, 2010 at 8:35 pm

Hi Helen, Do read my blogs – people living there are kind enough to send that info, and I post it now and then. As far as cost of living – it absolutely depends on what you are wanting in retirement. Your cost of living and my very thrifty habits may put us no place near. The current daily wage in Mexico is still about $5. Barbie

18. Barbie

April 18, 2010 at 7:05 pm

All that info is on my site. Read the newsletters, the special reports and the blogs. Barbie

19. Barbie

April 18, 2010 at 7:06 pm

Furniture import info is on my site. Read the newsletters, the special reports and the blogs. Barbie

20. william krumholz

April 21, 2010 at 1:37 pm

Ensenada would be close to home for me , natieve of San Diego. Would like to hear your opinion of the Ensenada area, especially crime ect , and cost of living , rents . Thanks Bill K.

21. Barbie

April 22, 2010 at 4:48 pm

The crime – ah yes, that’s the rub – it’s everywhere. We stay in safe areas, don’t go by yourself into unknown places, but – even in a city, at a good hotel, you never know it the drug guys are wanting to cause trouble…just be very, very careful. The cost of living – just like anyplace in Mexico, can be much less than in the states…depends on what you want in life. But it’s going to cost you much less in Mexico. Rents – again, cover the gamet – you can get bargain, or you can pay…well, more than Dick and I can afford – there’s something for everyone. Best to you. Barbie

22. Martin

April 24, 2010 at 1:44 pm

Hello Barbie,

Keep up the good work!

Thank you.

23. Patrick

April 24, 2010 at 7:19 pm

Dear Barbie,

I would love to hear back from you with any information you can give me.

Keep the newsletters coming. They are very informative.

Take Care,
    Linda T.

24. Kelly

April 26, 2010 at 2:48 pm

25. Joseph

April 27, 2010 at 9:36 am

26. Cathie Jean

May 21, 2010 at 6:45 am

Hi Barbie,
    I am a 58 yr old widow….Have now been in Baja going on 4 years.
    I dont speak the language ( Im not even close to Spanglish)
    I live on disability, have some heath issues,,,but I am so Happy to be here….I could not afford to live in the States.
    Yesterday I went grocery shopping at our local Walmart in Rosarito….Spent $85.00 on groceries that will last me 2 weeks +…Ya cant do that in the states…..I buy my meats…Yes, I even got some small steaks, 2 pkgs of Huge chicken breats, bacon 18 eggs, fresh baked bread, fruits and veggies. I also got 2 for 1 on butter and laundry detergent. I also go to the local fruit and veg stands here in my little town of Primo Tapia…
    I am only 38 miles from the border but worlds away from the stress and costs of living in the States.. I moved here not knowing a soul…I have met and formed new friends here…We all have that bond of being a “free spirit” and living “outside the box”. Hope this helps your readers.
    Cathie

27. Barbie

May 22, 2010 at 4:23 pm

And even on the Baja, you can live cheaper than in the States! Go Cathie!!!

28. Melissa

June 3, 2010 at 11:32 am

Hi,

My husband is from Jalisco and would like us to move there in the next few years. I like the idea of it, but I am wondering if you have any advice on what it would really be like for me considering that I am an American and have never been there. He tells me all of these wonderful stories but he also tells me things about his mother and his sisters that makes me wonder how it actually is for a woman there. I also have a college degree and am wondering if I can even get a job there. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

29. Cathy

July 15, 2010 at 8:18 pm

I would love to move to Mexico. I’m wondering if it is worth it to try to teach english in Mexico. I can become TESL certified in Minnesota. I would need some type of income. How long could I live on $100,000.00 in Mexico.

30. Frank Higgins

July 16, 2010 at 10:08 am

I am moving to Mexico within the next few months to a small (relatively small) place named San Blas in the state of Nayarit. I visited there some years ago and loved it. The rent for a 2 bedroom apartment/bungalow is around $400 to $500 per month. If there are any that would care to join in the trek…lets go. I am 63 (a young 63)
    The paperwork is the only problem that you will face and once done, its done for good
    Lets go

31. Aracely

July 27, 2010 at 9:54 am

Hi Barbie,
    I came across your blog when searching for information about Morelia in Mexico- I am too considering on moving to Mexico, but I wanted to find out more about such places as Morelia and San Miguel de Allende. Do you know anything about those places. (Edited for content by Barbie) Also thank you for any information on those places in Mexico.

32. Mark

August 1, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Barbie,
    I am a licensed funeral director and embalmer in the US. With all of the American expats in Puerto Vallarta, do any of the local funeral homes have American funeral directors? Who would I contact to find out about any job opportunites for an American bi-lingual FD?
    Thanks!
    Mark

33. Barbie

August 3, 2010 at 9:08 pm

Have no idea on this one – most everyone I know have already made arrangements with FD’s in the states.
    Sorry. Barbie
    Oh – but, do remember the wage rates in Mexico – $5 a day…

34. jayne

August 11, 2010 at 11:14 am

sounds like something i might be interested in, if your still looking for a roomy.

35. Frank Higgins

August 26, 2010 at 8:55 am

Linda,

give me a shout…i am planning on moving to Mexico in the near future(very near). I have several places that i want to check out but #1 on my list is San Blas (so far)

Frank
    higginsf@rocketmail.com

36. guap

September 3, 2010 at 7:27 pm

hmm…I’m ready to retire but is 34 to young. I just want to travel but this is a interesting idea. Maybe I could travel more if my cost of living was lower.

37. Pingback: Retiring in Mexico

38. Constance

November 23, 2010 at 7:34 pm

Hi, I has just returned from Progress/Chellem Mx and all I can say is OH MY I love the Yuctan and cannot wait to get back. I met so many expat and have made a nice circle of new BFF. Everyone want to help you mexican as well as expat. I might be interested in a room mate so that I can get back sooner than 2 ears. If you are interested email me. Everyone I met gave me info that I could really use and I have emails so when I am ready to return I will let everyone know I am coming. Connie

39. Luis Miguel

November 24, 2010 at 10:28 am

I am planning to move to Mexico after I finish my Paralegal degree. Although I am from Colima, Mexico, I move to the U.S. as a six years old child. I do not know anybody or anything. I would like to know about jobs and apartments. I have research the University of Colima and want to attend classes at the institute. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

40. Larry@Khon Kaen

December 6, 2010 at 2:57 am

Mexico is a great place to retire – as is Thailand. Come to think of it, anywhere outside of the US is a great place to retire.

41. JD

December 11, 2010 at 9:38 am

I’m 54 years old,i retired 2 years ago and moved to Ensenada,my wife and i love it here! We have never seen any kind of violence or any crimes,people are very nice and corteous,we go averywhere there is! at any time,we live very comfortable,and save a lot of money comparing to the states,health care is really affordable the doctors are amazing! very professional.Our health has also improved since we live so close to the ocean,we are living the dream of our lives.We reccomend to any one,thinking of liviong in Baja,to go ahead! you’ll love it here,this is paradise!

42. Barbie

January 24, 2011 at 9:27 pm

YEP! :) Barbie

43. Jackie Martinez

February 9, 2011 at 10:32 am

Hi Barbie,

Like so many others my husband and I are thinking of retiring in Mexico. My husband is a Mexican citizen, does this make it any easier for me as far as immigration goes?
    A very good friend of my husband is going to retire in Santa Anita outside of Guadalajara. He thought we might like it there too. Can you give me any info about the area. I know its not too far from Chapala.
    My husband’s friend has family there so I know it would make things easier for us.
    My only exposure to Mexico has been Tijuana where my husband’s family lives. Needless to say Tijuana is not where I would want to live.
    Any information you can give me would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Jackie

44. Barbie

February 19, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Hi Jackie – and like those others, I think you’ll do well any place you choose. Immigration is not that difficult for an American citizen – lots of info here to help you through that. And, there are a lot of Expats in and around Guadalajara…plus, you may like Chapala – visit all the places – you’ll find your space waiting for you. Best to you, Barbie

45. Maria Rodriguez

March 7, 2011 at 9:05 am

I am 55 and am planning to retire at 60. My husband and I are planning to live in a small town Rio Frio in Zacatecas, Mexico.

Do I keep an address in the US and will I be intitaled to my complete Social Security check?Please advice.

46. Barbie

March 27, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Hi Maria – that’s all answered in my articles. Just start reading. Best to you. Barbie

47. Edna

May 13, 2011 at 7:29 am

Hello…
    I saw your comment about moving to mexico. It’s great, but now We are 72 and 75 year old and are not going to Cancun as often, and are thinging about selling our house…If your are interested, I can send you pictures. It is located in the residential area, in walking distance of everyting, market 28, Sam, walmart, several nice local eating places….I have a friend in Mexico that took pictures when we were there March 14- April 15th. Its really a great place to live.
    Let me know if you are interested,
    Edna

48. Constance

May 29, 2011 at 11:27 pm

Thanks for telling me about your home in Cancun. I have only been to Cancun as a day visitor when I was on a cruise. No sure I would like the hussl and bussil that I saw there, but thanks again. I really love Progresso.

49. Billiards Boy

July 12, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Bill I just returned from Ensenada Mexico last week and I can tell you that I did not even feel safe enough on the main shopping street. We spent one hour shopping and left. There was so much security and police officers everywhere that to me it meant trouble. I know that some people would say that it makes them feel more safe but my attitude is they wouln’t be there if they weren’t needed. Good luck. I would not be leaving the safety and security of the U.S. if it were me.

50. on the same aspect

July 25, 2011 at 9:08 am

I love it,Excellent Write-up.I am Determine to put this into use one of these days.Thank you for sharing this.To Your Success!