RV Adventure In Mexico

I just have to share with you some wonderful information from my friends Herb and Margy Sutton. Herb tells a GREAT tale about their recent trip. Let’s hear what he has to say…..

Dear Barbie: Time flies when you are catching up!

It is a month since we got back from our trip down into Mexico. There is one highway, Mex 1, that goes all the way to Cabo San Lucas (Cape St. Luke), on the southern tip of the Baja peninsula. It’s almost entirely a narrow-two lane with no shoulders! You have very little space when a semi passes going the other way. The buses are even worse because they go very fast!

Five of the twelve rigs in our caravan had their side mirrors broken. Ours was one of the smaller rigs and we didn’t have that problem. At one point there is a 220-mile gap between gas stations. When we stopped for lunch we filled the gas tank from five-gallon cans that we had brought. We did fine.

At Guerro Negro we went out in a boat for whale watching. The whales calve in Scammons Lagoon and then go north to Alaska in summer. We saw a mother and baby swimming along side by side. On the way back to the dock there was a half-grown seal on the beach. A sea gull was trying to steal the fish that he had caught. Further along were some mooring buoys that were completely covered with adult seals. From there the road crosses the mountains to the east coast.

At Santa Rosalia we saw the iron church that was built by Gustave Eiffel who also built the famous tower. The town was once site of a French-owned mining/smelting operation. In the campground the electricity died, so we had to rough it a little. No big deal, we were prepared. The road south follows along the shore of the Sea of Cortez. It is fabulously scenic with mountains that come right down to the sea.

Loreto was our next stop, an old Mexican town with narrow streets and a cathedral facing the square. It had a paved shopping mall with trees meeting overhead. Beautiful!

Next was La Paz, state capital, and by far the largest city in the state of Baja California Sur. Everything that arrives into the lower Baja comes either by ferry from the mainland or down Mex 1. La Paz is the major port. In the campground the electricity was 145 volts and the water was just a trickle. Good thing we were prepared. Mexico is a 3rd world country, but we did have fun.

On the side of the road is a sign that says “tropic of cancer”, we had driven to the tropics. We continued south to Cabo San Lucas. We had stopped there on a cruise in the late 80’s when it was a little fishing village. Now it is a major resort area and growing like crazy. We went for a ride in a glass bottom boat and saw many tropical fish swimming around. We saw for the first time blowfish that were alive and not in a beach shop. We sailed out to the arch in the rock that marks the very tip of the Baja.

One evening we went for a sunset cruise except it was cloudy. We did see some whales that didn’t know that they were supposed to be up at Guerro Negro. We went to a glass works that had beautiful glasses, dishes etc. It was pleasant shorts and t-shirt weather in January!

Heading back north, we stopped in Los Barriles (the barrels) mostly just a quiet town. From there we went on to Ciudad Constitution where everything was good except there was a loud concert close to the area of the campground. They blared until after 2 a.m. The worthless roosters started at 3 a.m.

Continuing north, the road went back to the coast again. The same pretty scenery but going the other way. We camped on the beach at San Bonaventura, mountains on three sides and the water on the other. We picked up shells and played with the parrot in the bar/restaurant. We went to sleep to the sound of the waves at that campground. They were about 50 feet from our trailer.

Mulege (Mool-a-hay) was our next stop. It is a pretty little town next to a river. Along the river is a forest of palm trees. I have never seen so many in one place! The town got beaten up pretty bad last summer by a hurricane, so a lot of rebuilding was going on.

Our next stop was the picturesque little town of San Ignacio. All along the way we had given or tossed used tennis balls to the kids that we encountered. We were handing some to kids in the square in San Ignacio when an old lady came up and asked if she could have one for her grandchildren. We gave her a couple. The kids really appreciate the balls and the tennis buffs throw them in the trash after a few games. Our campground in San Ignacio was named “Rice & Beans”.

Northbound again, we stopped in Catavina. When I opened the trailer door our TV set was still fastened to it’s shelf but was shattered to pieces. I guess the bumpy roads got to it. It was a small set that we found in a garage sale just for the trailer.

The rest was an uneventful ride back home. We put 3052 miles on the car. Margy says it was fun but she is not in a hurry to do it again, as the curvy narrow mountain roads were pretty scary.

On Facebook? Comment on this post...


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *